Sunday, October 24, 2010

When the Reader Actually Cares

I imagine that it’s crazy hard for writers to create characters that make the reader care.  That’s when I think that books really make a difference in the lives readers.  If you can genuinely care about what the character is going through then you’ll enjoy reading the story.  There were times during We Were Here where I felt like, if it had been an emotional day for me, I would have cried.  I have two older brothers, and I could not imagine anything happening to them, much less anything happening to them as a result of something that I did.  I love that the author was able to illustrate the strong love between the two brothers, although there was nothing there of Diego’s side.  The relationships between brothers and sisters are some of the longest that we will have in our lives.  Miguel’s relationship with his brother was cut short, but usually siblings will outlive parents and other family members.  I don’t really know where I’m going with that thought, but the relationship I have with both of my brothers is something incredible that I will definitely cherish for the rest of my life. I think that was why I could relate to what Miguel was feeling when he talked about losing his brother.  I could not imagine having to go through something like that, and that is what made me care about this character.  

Chelsea Heckathorn

3 comments:

  1. I like the way matt de la pena represents male characters. Thats kind of weird to say because I'm a girl, but I feel like he is one the first authors I've come across that puts them in a different light. I think it has something to do with the way he makes them seem flawed. The coolest is part is that he makes being flawed okay. When I am reading, I naturally tend to try to relate to the female character but Matt does this thing where where he exploits guys and therefore makes them human. When he does this, I feel like I can relate to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think both of you bring up excellent points! The relationship Miguel had with Diego also made it easier for me to relate to him. What he went through I simply couldn't imagine, and honestly, don't think I would be able to make it. This fact made Miguel relatable to me, but also made him different enough from me to keep me intrigued. And I also agree that Matt de la Pena presents the male characters in a unique light. I like the fact that he adds emotions to the characters that are different from stereotypical "guy" thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you all are talking about the complicated and poignant male characters in Matt's books.

    I was struck by what Matt said in our phone conversation about "the subtext that goes on between hoop players"--how there is so much more going on in the relationships and emotional lives of young men than most will let on or name. Matt named that unspoken emotional layer as subtext. I have to say, this is what gets me so deeply about his characters and his books. He brings to life the inner worlds of young men, often the ways they are sad and lonely and hurting, all the while on the outside they're fronting as tough. There is so little space given to young men's inner sadness and vulnerability in our novels and our culture. Matt's characters have so much heart: I see it in the way they admit that they feel things.

    ReplyDelete