Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fallen through the Cracks of History

After reading Claudette Colvin: Twice toward Justice, I thought about something I hadn't since childhood reading my history books for school. I always wondered how some of the most important people of history somehow fall through the cracks and the next person to come along to do the same thing gets the recognition. I guess that it could be the bias of the historian writing their slant on what happened but then how do they get by without even mentioning that person, even in passing? It seems to me that Claudette Colvin was a pretty significant figure in American history to conveniently left out and be replaced by Rosa Parks.

I don't know how I feel about Rosa Parks not taking the initiative to correct people when they viewed her and advertised her as one of, if not the first, African American woman to stand up to Jim Crowe Laws...

Kaylin

3 comments:

  1. It is so odd that we have never heard about Claudette. I wonder if it was mostly due to her age. Which is really unfortunate. I think that young children learning about civil rights could really benefit from having a young person as an example, who stood up against injustices. What does that tell young people if there is no such role model?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was really mad when I read in the book that people did not want to start the boycott of the buses in Montgomery because of the actions of a teenager. Wouldn't that be all the more reason to boycott because it would get even more attention? I hate that this poor girl's story is not more widely told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do any of you feel that her pregnancy played a large, if not the entire role of why they decided not to include Claudette in their revolution?

    ReplyDelete