Monday, October 25, 2010

The Power of Short Stories

I truly love short stories. Now don't get me wrong I love novels too, but short stories are also awesome. I love the fact that they can offer a short glimpse into something and still leave we wondering and questioning. In my opinion some of the short stories I have read are more thought provoking than some of the novels I have read. I believe that we all can get something meaningful out of a short story. For example in Tales From Outer Suburbia my favorite story was "Distant Rain." It left me with a feeling I can't even describe. It made me think about who the people were that hid their works and how I could have been one of the people to read one of the scraps. It makes me think about how small the world is and at the same time how big the world is. I really enjoy short stories. They are also great in a school setting. The chance to read a short story for some students is amazing because it is what it is...short. I think it is also helpful because it can same time for the teacher. You can read many short stories in the same time that you can read one novel. Novels are important, but so are short stories.

Alisa Richter

8 comments:

  1. I agree! Some of my favorite readings from my high school literature classes came from short story compilations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Short stories can leave some of the most lasting impressions on students and tell some really unforgettable stories! I think one of my favorite things I ever read in high school was a volume of short stories of Edgar Allen Poe. My teacher was really into Poe, so we spent a lot of time talking about it, but the stories were so horrific and bizarre, the whole class was fascinated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree entirely. I love that short stories somehow bring all the feelings of a novel into one sitting and one mind set. There is a gratifying sense of fulfillment after you read a short story. I tend to use short stories as my theme for the day. The message is open ended and therefore can be interpreted in so many different ways. I personal favorites were the collection of short stories by Shel Silverstien like "A light in the Attic" and "Where the Sidewalk Ends."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never really read short stories until I read Tales From Outer Suburbia, and I was not a huge fan of the book. I loved Distant Rain, but the rest of the stories left me with a feeling that something was not complete. I did enjoy the fact that you could easily read the book in short increments, it had plenty of good stopping points. Distant Rain, unlike the other short stories, did leave me with more than just a feeling like something else needs to happen. I really enjoyed the idea that someone could actually pick up random scraps of paper and form a poem/short story. I thought of all the manuscripts that never met it to print, all the mistakes and rewrites. It made me think how awesome it would be to see a writing project from the beginning and look at all the scraps that got thrown away. Distant Rain, really made me think and I loved how much imagination went into the story and how much I got to use my imagination while reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started loving short stories in my senior year of high school when I took a creative writing class. I had never read them before then and had never never placed a value on them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m impressed, I must say. Really rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you’ve got hit the nail for the head. Your notion is outstanding; the pain is something that insufficient everyone is speaking intelligently about. We’re happy that we came across this at my look for some thing concerning this. putlocker

    ReplyDelete
  7. For anyone with a passion for technology, this degree is a serious pathway to success. An MBA (Technology Management) is an online MBA degree that one can do from the convenience of home. So what does this course entail? เว็บดูอนิเมะ

    ReplyDelete