Sunday, October 3, 2010

Shedding Light on Dark Topics through YA Lit

Sold by Patricia McCormick was the choice book that I read after the first week of class. In attempt to portray sex slavery and child trafficking as truthfully as possible, Patricia McCormick traveled to Nepal and to the red-light district of Calcutta, India to take part in researching the injustices that are a reality in those countries. It is hard to imagine a world with lives so different from the lives of people in the “western world.”  Patricia McCormick’s attempt to shed light on this very real issue follows the life of Lakshmi, a thirteen year-old Nepali girl who is sold into prostitution in her family’s last resort to escape poverty. After reading Sold, I spent a lot of time reflecting on my own life. Why was I born into a white, middle-class family in the U.S.? Why did I have the opportunity to have access to education? How is it possible for my parents to get so enraged at the election of a president with views they don’t necessarily agree with, when there are, according to research done by Patricia McCormick, nearly 12,000 Nepali girls sold into sexual slavery each year? How is this possible? And probably most disturbing, if people know about this, why is there nothing being done to stop it? How can things like this happen in the world, meanwhile, people can live their lives here in the United States never hearing a single thing about child sex trafficking? All I can think is that there is nothing okay about it, but where do you start? How do you even begin to combat an issue like this? I am very grateful to authors like Patricia McCormick that bring the tough issues into light. The fact that books like Sold are being put on shelves in bookstores and being rented out to young adults in libraries makes me very happy. Happy is an understatement. Authors who venture into topics that are difficult to talk about, read about, and even think about impress me.  At this point in young adult literature and the age of the internet, adolescents in the United States have access to almost unlimited information on what is going on in the world around them, and that is something that I know will continue to open doors. 

Chelsea Heckathorn

3 comments:

  1. Chelsea,
    I have not read Sold, however they way you describe the plot and the truths about Nepali girls and the sex-trade makes me think about those questions as well. I think, and I may be wrong, but it seems like in America we are comfortable in our own neighborhood, we do not want to think about what goes on in other countries. Even if the actions of others in foreign countries affect us here. We don't want to think about things that make us uncomfortable or make us feel like we are over-privileged while others are sold for sex so their families don't live in poverty.
    I agree with you that these topics need to be discussed and brought to the attention of others, especially young adults who will hopefully have the power to help end such terrible atrocities. I like you, thank authors like Patricia McCormick for bringing these topics to light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Sold over the summer after my sister left it at my apartment. I thought it was really great how McCormick shed light on child trafficking, but few people know that some of these children are sent to the US too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you wrote your post about this book. We are way too focused on ourselves and our own lives on a day to day basis, and books like this really help us to stop and appreciate how blessed we really are. It's so important to read about these types of situation and gain more awareness about the world outside our little college bubble.

    Katie Durkin

    ReplyDelete