Monday, September 27, 2010

Nikki Bland's Take on Sorta Like a Rock Star

I just finished reading Matthew Quick’s Sorta Like a Rock Star in 12 hours (7 of which were spent sleeping or in class), which is a pretty huge feat for me, considering I am the queen of procrastination. Upon reading the first chapter, I felt a huge connection with the protagonist, Amber Appleton, based on her unfaltering optimism and her love for animals. I ended up staying awake until nearly 4am reading, and I only put the book down because I had to be in class in four hours. This book impacted me pretty greatly. As a future teacher, it has made me realize the importance of investigating student’s home lives. One can only wonder what would have happened differently had Amber’s teachers inquired about where she was living or why she did not own a winter coat. As future teachers, do you think that the teachers at her school were in the wrong by not asking about her situation? Do you plan on being “nosy” when it comes to your students? When should the line be drawn in terms of a teacher over-stepping their boundaries into their students’ personal lives? What do you all think?

3 comments:

  1. In this case I think Amber might not have been showing many signs of being homeless besides not having a proper coat. Kids in hard places are often embarrassed by their situation try to hide it. Amber didn't want anyone to know she lived on the Hello Yellow. With her character it seems that if asked if she was having problems she probably would have refused because she didn't want charity and believed her mom would "come through".

    For future teachers in my opinion if there is some concern for a students well being the teacher should try to reach out to the student. I don't think it would be over-stepping boundaries to just show concern and make sure a student is okay and assure them you are there if they need any help, if they want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you in that teachers need to make their help readily available and make sure that the students know it, but I sometimes wonder if students don't want the help that they need if a teacher should intervene anyway. Sometimes people who turn help away are the ones that need it the most, and even though it may make you unpopular, you will have to do things that anger your students if it means that they may be saved from a situation like Amber's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in grammar school and it was cold outside, my teachers wouldn't let us go out to recess unless we had a proper winter coat, and if we didn't have one the next day we got detention. Amber's teachers should have noticed that she barely had anything to keep her warm.

    On the other hand, I do agree with Jenny that Amber was giving very few signs that she was homeless. Donna, who is practically Amber's second mother, was shocked to find out that Amber and her mother had been living on Hello Yellow for months. Donna had the closest contact with Amber out of anyone, and she had no idea the extent of the situation.

    ReplyDelete